A 25-year-old patient had a tumor larger than a football’s chest, removed after surgery

Written by admin

The tumor occupied more than 90% of the patient’s chest, leaving both lungs functioning at only 10% of their capacity.

A rare case of a large tumor in the chest has been reported. Which was removed after a 4 hour long surgery. In this rare case of its kind, the tumor weighed 13.85 kg, which is bigger than a football. The surgery of this 25-year-old youth was done at a private hospital in Delhi. Although rare blood group and even after surgery, the young man faced some complications.

what is the whole matter

Dr. Udgeeth Dhir, Director and Head, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, CTVS, along with a team of doctors, successfully removed the world’s largest tumor weighing 13.85 kg from the chest of a 25-year-old youth, a very challenging and rare type of cancer in the medical world. surgery has been performed.

Earlier, the largest tumor in the chest was removed from the chest of a patient in Gujarat whose weight was 9.5 kg.

It was difficult to breathe because of the tumor

In the present case, the patient, Devesh Sharma, was brought to the Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram in a very critical condition, unable to breathe and had severe chest discomfort. For the last 2-3 months, he could not even sleep lying straight on the bed due to shortness of breath.

tumor ki vajah se mariz saans bhi nahi le pa raha tha
Due to the tumor, the young man could not even breathe properly. Symbolic Image: Shutterstock

After examination at the hospital, the pulmonologist advised her to get a CT scan of her chest. This scan report revealed that he had a large tumor in his chest. Which was occupying about 90 percent space in the chest. It not only covered the heart, but also moved both the lungs from their places. Due to this, the lungs were working at only 10 percent capacity. The senior doctors of the hospital advised Devesh to meet Dr. Udgeeth Dhir for treatment in this matter.

Rare blood group was also a challenge

While the surgery itself was challenging, the patient’s rare blood group – AB negative, made the situation worse. When patients have large sized tumors present in the chest, it is very difficult to give anesthesia.

In fact, during anesthesia, the pressure on the heart increases due to the weight of the tumor. Due to which the blood flow can get blocked and in this case the blood pressure drops significantly.

To avoid this situation and reduce the risk of surgery, doctors had to prepare the patient for emergency cardiac pulmonary bypass by administering local anaesthesia if needed. The anesthesia team had made elaborate preparations to give anesthesia before the surgery and no complications were created during the operation.

About this complex surgery, Dr. Udgeeth Dhir said, “The patient came to us in a critical condition as he had a lot of pressure on his lungs due to a large size tumor in the chest. They were no longer fit for daily activities.

4 hours long surgery was challenging

The patient’s surgery lasted 4 hours, during which his chest was opened from both sides and the main chest bone (sternum) had to be cut in the middle. Technically this is called clam shell incision.

It was impossible to remove tumors of such a large size with minimally invasive surgery. In such a situation, there was no option but to open the chest completely. Throughout this process, maintaining adequate blood flow was of paramount importance to the patient.

This was a very risky surgery due to the massive tumor and difficult to operate because of the many blood vessels, as it was necessary to control the tumor and manage the tumor capsule.

Dr Dhir said, “After the surgery, the patient was shifted to the ICU with adequate hemostasis. The next day the tubes were removed from his body. Initially he was put on ventilation and later removed from him.

Challenges were not less even after surgery

After some time, the level of carbon dioxide in his blood began to rise, due to which his lungs, which had initially contracted, began to expand again and due to this, the patient complained of re-expansion pulmonary edema (RPE).

We tried to get him out of this situation without any invasive ventilator support, but after 48 hours the patient had to be put back on the ventilator. Seeing his condition, we decided to do tracheostomy.

Due to which a minor hole was made in his neck so that the secretions that were accumulating in his body could be removed from there, as there was a lot of congestion in his heart. The patient was kept in the ICU for 39 days and was then shifted to the room and his tracheostomy was removed.

Now the patient’s condition is improving and he needs oxygen support only moderately. We are extremely happy that the patients are recovering slowly.”

Regarding this surgery, Dr Ritu Garg, Zonal Director, Fortis Memorial Research Institute said, “It was a very rare and very risky case. The whole affair was handled with utmost care and Dr. Udgeeth and his team displayed utmost skill and expertise in it. I would like to express my gratitude to the team of doctors who brought life to such a patient by successfully carrying out the risky surgery.”

Also read – Respiratory syncytial virus is more contagious than Kovid-19, take care of children in changing seasons


About the author


Leave a Comment